Thursday, April 9, 2009

Another Seizure

Kara had her 2nd febrile seizure late this afternoon after Tim brought her home from the babysitter. It's been almost 9 months since her first seizure, which occurred the day before her 1st birthday. Of course I was away again--which meant that Tim had to experience it all by himself, and that kills me! I took Samantha and a friend of hers to Six Flags because they are on Spring Break this week. We left the park as soon as Tim let me know what happened. Another VERY long 2 hour car ride. :-( Tim took Kara to her pediatrician's office to have her checked out. The doctor said that everything looked just fine, but wanted to collect a urine sample. Kinda hard to do on a 20 month old. The doctor taped a bag 'down there', which will 'catch' it, and then we get to pour it in a cup. This is just in case Kara has a urinary tract infection, since it's the only thing the doctor can't examine up front.

Please pray for Kara. This is so hard on her. She was exhausted for the rest of the evening. For the next 24 hours, we will be alternating the doses of Motrin and Tylenol every 3 hours. This is also very stressful for us, her parents. We feel so helpless. We try to be proactive, and actually take her temperature way more than normal--much more than I ever took Samantha's temperature. Unfortunately, Kara seems to be prone to getting fevers, and when they spike quickly, the seizure occurs. The doctor mentioned that Kara may be more susceptible to seizures now, and will most likely outgrow them by the age of 5 or 6 yrs old. I sure hope that's not the case.

1 comment:

MICARA said...

Kathy I'm so sorry about lil Kara and the seizures... I know EXACTLY what you are going through. Codie was identical to that. I will pray for her and all of you. The only sense of comfort I can give you at this time is I want you to know that these events are something that she doesn't remember. of course, we do, but she wont. i know it is hard and scary. the exhaustion is normal after one. Their lil brains are working in such a spurt of overtime that rest is all it's craving afterwards. call if you need me. i'll be praying